A Travellerspoint blog

October 2012

A trip to the UK

for a wonderful wedding in the woods

storm 18 °C

With just a little over a week at home after Wedding Number One we were back on a plane. This time we were on our way to the UK for Wedding Number Two, via Seoul.
We had a brief stopover in Seoul but our timing wasn't great.....by the time we got to our hotel is was quite late on the Saturday night. We made our way to the hotel through the hussle and bustle of the night markets. We were tempted to have a good old look around but were both so tired we headed to bed. The next day we headed out to a very quiet city - it was Thanksgiving so everything was closed and nobody was around! It was the perfect situation for a morning's geocaching though so we headed off seeing a few sights along the way...
We arrived in the UK on Sunday night and battled with the heavy Heathrow traffic (we had forgotten just how awful it is!) to get back to mum and dads. Pretty much the whole of our trip involved hopping in the hire car and heading to the next destination! We had a trip to Wales to stay with my best friend Annette, my Godson Sam and his sister Imi. It was a brief but good visit with a fun dinner out watching Sam get higher and higher on sugar!
Next stop was Devon to see Grandad. I was a little unprepared for how he had aged since I saw him just over a year ago. He wasn't having a very good day when we first went to visit so we decided to go back the next day. Next time we found him dressed and sitting in his chair ready for a good old chat. Amongst other things, Gerald asked him about his time in India and he told us all about finding a decapitated body in the jungle! After seeing Grandad we had a little explore around Dartmouth including a visit to the castle.
From Devon we headed to Dorset to stay with our friends Joe and Sharon and see their new house. We went out for a lovely pub dinner and spent the night catching up on the gossip.
Then it was back to Surrey to stay with friends Laura, Rich and their little boy Owen. Owen kept us entertained the whole time and had us in stitches as he plodded around in Gerald's trainers!
Finally the day of the wedding arrived. We checked into our amazing B&B - The Bell (apparently) in the small village of Ticehurst. It has to be the quirkiest place either of us have ever stayed and we loved it!
For an October wedding the weather was amazing and the setting for the wedding was just wonderful.
Toyah looked beautiful and the wedding was a perfect reflection of the newlyweds with haybales for guests to sit on, a bouquet of wheat and birds of prey to entertain the guests.
The next morning, after our amazing cooked breakfast, we set off once again for Surrey. We spent the day in Kingston by the river at Boaters Inn where we caught up with a steady stream of friends over about 9 hours or so!
The final few days consisted of meeting up with a few more friends, spending time with mum and dad, shopping (oh how I wish Kingston could transport itself to Auckland!) and a trip into London. We jumped on a boat by the London Eye and headed to Greenwich, had a little look round the market and then got the new cable car across the river before heading back into the city for a wander round and a cheesy, touristy dinner at Planet Hollywood.
Unfortunately in the early hours of Thursday Dad received a call to say that Grandad had passed away. Gerald and I kept ourselves busy with packing and such stuff as mum and dad made the necessary calls. It wasn't the ending to the trip we had anticipated but we were glad we had got to see Grandad just a few days before.
A big thank you to everyone that gave us a bed for the night, fed us and made the effort to meet up with us. It was lovely to see you all.

Posted by bumblebum 21:45 Archived in New Zealand Comments (0)

(Entries 1 - 1 of 1) Page [1]