A Travellerspoint blog

March 2012

Waiheke wanderings and Roxie & Rufus.

A purrrfect weekend!

sunny 20 °C

Friday night I left school about 5 minutes after the children, rushing home to catch the bus into the city. For Gerald's birthday I decided to get us a night away on Waiheke. We caught the ferry across to the island soaking up the afternoon rays on the top deck. After just 35 minutes we arrived on Waiheke and decided to get the bus to our accommodation. The bus took us on a scenic route looping around different parts of the island allowing us to admire the stunning sea views. We got off at the last stop and walked just a minute or so to the beautiful Heartsong, our B&B for the night. Once again Tripadvisor did us proud. Heartsong is run by the very friendly and welcoming Trisha and Robin and is set overlooking the boats bobbing up and down in Rocky Bay. The grounds are magnificent, full of native trees and plants with curiosities collected from their travels all over the world hidden amonst the plants. After being shown our beautiful room we headed straight down to the boatshed and jetty where we sat and watched the sun go down whilst we ate supper. Once night fell and the mozzies had gone to bed we decided to relax and unwind in the hot pool, stargazing as we chatted. A perfect way to spend a Friday night. The next day we woke to the morning chorus of Tuis, admired the sea views from our enormous floor to ceiling window in the wet room whilst we showered and then ate a breakfast fit for a king. Trisha grows as much as she can herself and makes everything from scratch. We had freshly baked croissants and bread, fruits, muesli and the best yogurt I have EVER eaten in my life. I had to keep filling my bowl it was so delicious.
After checking out we left our bags with Trisha whilst we went on a walk to the Regional Park just down the road. We wandered along the tree lined paths in dappled sunlight and when we decided to head back we chose to walk the route along the beach watching the fish leap out of the water and laughing at the birds who, thinking we were invading their teritory, squawked warnings at us to stay away! Waiheke was gorgeous and one night was definitely not long enough. When we return we will definitely stay at Heartsong again. By the time we caught the bus back into the main part of the island the weather was closing in so we decided to head back to the mainland. Half way back the rain arrived and we totally lost sight of all land! We arrived back home late afternoon and treated ourselves to a fish and chips dinner from our favourite place in St Heliers and had an early night in anticipation of the next day....
This morning we couldn't wait to jump into the car and head down the motorway as finally the day had arrived for us to collect Roxie and Rufus, our gorgeous new kittens. We filled out the required paperwork and paid our money to the SPCA for their microchips and vaccinations. Initially, little cries came from the carry box as we drove home but by the end they had calmed down and Roxie was even purring. We introduced them to their room and watched them explore every nook and cranny, Roxie being much bolder and braver than Rufus. Before long they were playing with their toys and Rufus was showing how very territorial he is by growling the entire time he had a toy in his possession. After just a couple of hours they had played, eaten, drank, used the litter tray and crashed out! However it was only a cat nap and before long they were tearing around the place all over again! They did stop occasionally and head over for a bit of a cuddle and attention which immediately triggered the purring. It is so nice to have cats again and now our house it truly a home!
Since the last blog we celebrated Gerald's birthday with his sister Jenni ,who was staying with us for a few nights, his brother David and 2 of his children, Alisa and Hugh and his mum and dad who treated us all to a lovely lunch. We were also treated to a delicious dinner cooked by Kirsten last week as we headed over there one night after work. The only other thing worthy of a mention was a night out on the town for St Patrick's Day. Our friend's Cheryl and Darren invited us out for drinks so we headed down to the Viaduct. As we got off the bus we were greeted by a sea of green. It is not often you see the city that busy, there were people everywhere and getting served was sometimes easier said than done! We ended up doing a bit of a bar crawl amongst the green wigs, green clothes and leprechauns and I lost count as to how many places we visited before finally hailing a cab home.
As I type this the kittens are exploring the whole of downstairs, it is extremely funny watching them chasing each other under and over the furniture at full speed. They are certainly going to provide us hours of entertainment.
That's it for another few weeks

Posted by bumblebum 21:36 Archived in New Zealand Comments (0)

Our new home

And soon to be kittens....

semi-overcast 23 °C

At last we have moved into our new house and we are now home owners!

After waiting anxiously all morning around 1pm on Tuesday we finally got the call to say everything had gone through and we could collect the keys so we raced over there with a fully loaded van and car. We were greeted by Sheryl who had ‘looked after’ us from the beginning. She let us into our new home and presented us with golden keys in a black, velvet box and a bottle of Moet! We had seen Sheryl just a few days earlier when she had given us a presentation on how everything in the house worked – we do have some funky gadgets around the place and definitely needed teaching!
We spent all day Tuesday loading vehicles and then unpacking at the other end. Wednesday saw the arrival of our new fridge and after work we shifted a whole heap more stuff. New sofas and lounge furniture was delivered on Thursday and again we brought more stuff over after work and by the end of the night downstairs was looking pretty good. By Friday night we had brought over all our small stuff, leaving the removal men to grab the heavy items early Saturday morning. By midday everything was at our new place and we spent a few hours sorting cupboards, assembling beds, hanging photos and making the place look and feel like home.
Kirsten and a few other friends headed over on Saturday night to help drink the champagne and on Sunday our old neighbours came over in the evening for a BBQ as it was a beautiful day and we wanted to make the most of it.
So one week on we are nicely settled, as long as you don’t look in the garage! That needs a lot of organising still. Anyway here are some photos...

The next big thing for us will be the arrival of the kittens. They are still not heavy enough to have their neutering ops yet, they need to be 1kg and although the grey girl is very close to that, the tabby has a little way to go as he had cat flu and lost some weight.
As soon as they have their ops we can bring them home so meanwhile we will have to make do with another visit at my friend Nicky’s (their foster mum). We really can’t wait to get them, then the house will really be a home.

That's about it for now!

Posted by bumblebum 23:19 Archived in New Zealand Comments (6)

(Entries 1 - 2 of 2) Page [1]