A Travellerspoint blog

January 2013

Elvis, Chili Peppers and camping in Whangarei Heads.

A nice start to the new year!

semi-overcast 23 °C

As usual Gerald and I have been keeping busy....

Whilst Gerald has been at work I have been keeping myself occupied mostly catching up with friends but I have done a bit of school work ready for my return next week.

We spent a very hot and sunny Sunday in West Auckland at Elvis in the Park. We met our friends the Hills there and spent several hours enjoying a variety of Elvises from every era singing all his greatest hits whilst we sat on our blankets eating our picnic.
As we had introduced the Hills to the joys of geocaching last year we we took the opportunity to find some caches around the park with them and afterwards the kids enjoyed the amazing adventure playground in Tui Glen Reserve - without a doubt the best one I have ever seen.

On Monday we ventured over to Vector Arena once again - this time for the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Neither of us can remember the last time we were in a crowd that cheered so loudly. It was an almost deafening roar at times! They put on a great show and played all their biggest hits. Considering they are now around 50 they have bags of energy and spent the whole night bouncing around the stage.

This weekend we headed north on a road trip to go camping with our friends Mike and Jordan. We found a cute little campsite by the sea called Blue Heron near the beautiful Whangarei Heads.
Once we got our tents set up we went for a wander around the area and found some geocaches before heading back to cook dinner.
The next morning we woke up to the most beautiful day and decided to drive to Ocean Beach. It was well worth seeking out! Ocean Beach is a picturesque white sand beach with a bit of surf. There were plenty of surfers catching the waves giving me something to watch as I lay on the sand enjoying the sunshine whilst the boys went for a swim. There were also plenty of caches in the area so we spent a bit of time hunting those out. We had to climb an enormous sand dune to retrieve one of them but it was completely worth it for the breathtaking view from the top.
After such a beautiful day we headed back to the campsite and enjoyed the setting sun as we washed up after dinner.
This morning we had to pack up the tent and hit the road again. We decided to search for some more caches around the area - always a good way to find pretty and interesting spots.
As you can see from the photos, one of the caches today was closely guarded by a skull!

That concludes our adventures....for now.

Posted by bumblebum 00:14 Archived in New Zealand Comments (0)

Rangitoto, Devonport, Wellington, Mission Bay....

Anita & Gerald got around this Xmas and New Year!!!

overcast 18 °C

Happy New Year!

The last couple of weeks of 2012 were fairly busy. Christmas was spent in Wellington which seemingly was a very good choice as it was the hottest Christmas Day in Wellington since 1934 at 29 degrees. Auckland on the other hand had rain, rain and more rain! Gerald could not resist the call of the sea, despite not having any swimming gear, and went in fully clothed! Luckily it was so hot he soon dried off.
Wellington airport has been temporarily renamed ‘The Middle of Middle Earth’ due to the recent release of The Hobbit. The airport has been decorated to go along with the theme which has all the tourists getting their cameras out!

Once we got back to Auckland the sales had started and as we both received vouchers for Christmas we decided to hit the shops. We successfully spent the lot and bagged ourselves some great bargains on items we had been wanting for a while.

The next day we headed into the city to use one of the ‘Big City Little City’ deals we grabbed off the internet – a 2 for 1 deal on the ‘Who Shot Rock n Roll’ exhibition at the Auckland Art Gallery. We easily spent an hour checking out the photos of stars such as The Beatles, The Stones, Blondie and Madonna to name but a few.

Roxie has been entertaining us…the other night she was keeping Gerald awake so he put her out in the garage. About an hour later there was a thud that woke us both up and then Roxie was on the bed. We figured out that she had somehow worked her way up onto the roof of our house and jumped in through the bedroom window! She now does this on a nightly basis – she just can’t be without us!

After finding 300 geocaches we finally got round to hiding our own cache. We found a little spot in the wetlands by our house and completed the online form to get it published on the geocaching.com site. Within 45 minutes it had been released and once we realised this (just a short while later) we decided to pop down and see if anybody came to find it. As we approached we could see 2 people rushing towards to hiding place, we watched from a distance and once they had signed the log headed over to see if they were the first to find it. Turns out they were the fifth!!! You have to be quick round these parts to be the ‘First to Find’!!!

We saw the New Year in at Mission Bay with Gerald’s sister Jenni and friends Darren, Cheryl and Liz. It was a relaxed night of drinking and chatting. We headed across the road to the beach just before midnight and watched fireworks going off all around.

New Year’s Day was beautiful, hot and sunny so we jumped in the car and headed North to Devonport for lunch and a stroll by the sea.
Of course we also combined it with some geocaching. Lots of them were hidden by the same person who is well known for his excellent camouflaging skills of each container – he did not let us down!

Yesterday we got the ferry across to Rangitoto Island Reserve. Rangitoto is a 5.5km wide volcanic island in the Hauraki Gulf. It is the most recently formed volcano in Auckland at around 600 years old. Lots of the island still has large fields of big, black lava stones but in other parts there are huge pohutukawa trees, all looking stunning at this time of year with their bright red blooms.
We got the 9.15am ferry and spent the next 7 ½ hours exploring the island, following the coastal path and then making our way up to the summit for views over the crater.
Along the way we managed to find 14 geocaches but left some for future visits. The weather was amazing the whole day and the views were stunning. We also followed the path to the lava caves but decided not to venture down the 50m lava tube as we didn’t have torches with us.
Speaking to others it gets pretty tight in there at times but you can follow it all the way through to come out at the other end, maybe another time…. We got the last ferry back to Auckland at 5pm feeling pretty exhausted and very thirsty having finished all our drinks. It was a great day and one that we will definitely repeat.

Posted by bumblebum 14:13 Archived in New Zealand Comments (0)

(Entries 1 - 2 of 2) Page [1]